The Post of the Registrar of the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria, will be vacant by 1st June, 2023. In accordance with the provisions of the Obafemi Awolowo University Law, as amended, the Council of the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife wishes to commence the process for the appointment of a new Registrar for the University.
Consequently, applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified candidates for the position. Interested applicants are requested to note the following information:
The Obafemi Awolowo University, Ife, is a first generation comprehensive public institution established in 1961 as The University of Ife, by the then Western Region of Nigeria. In August 1975, the Federal Government of Nigeria took over the University and in 1987 renamed it after Chief Obafemi Awolowo, a frontline Nigerian Statesman and one of the University’s founding fathers. The University is situated on a vast expanse of land of 11,861 hectares in Ile-Ife, Osun State, Southwest of Nigeria.
The Vision of the founders of the University was to establish an institution dedicated to the promotion of learning and culture. The aim was to create an institution for developing a cadre of high-level manpower, qualified in various fields. The focus was on the development of teaching and research facilities that would be used to provide solutions to problems of national development.
The University has continued to be a renowned centre of excellence over the years. Known as ‘the most beautiful’ campus South of Sub Sahara Africa, it has produced among its staff, a Nobel Laureate and National Merit Award Winners and has blazed the trail in the inventions of modern technologies applicable for alleviating some of society’s challenges today. From an enrolment figure of 244 at inception, Obafemi Awolowo University as at 2021/2022 academic session had a total student enrolment figure of 34,036. Also, the University which took off with a staff strength of 94 members, has grown to have a staff profile of 4,000 comprising 1,365 academic staff and 2,635 non-teaching staff.
(i) The University Registrar is a Principal Officer and the Chief Administrative Officer of the University, who is responsible to the Vice-Chancellor for the day-to-day administration of the University except for financial matters which fall within the purview of the Bursar. The Registrar is also the Secretary to the Council, Senate, Convocation, Congregation and other statutory bodies as defined by the University Laws. He/ She shall also perform all other duties assigned to him/ her by the Council and/or the Vice-Chancellor from time to time.
(ii) The Registrar shall hold office for a period of five years from the effective date of his/her appointment and on such terms and conditions as may be specified in the letter of appointment.
The person who will be Registrar, given the complexity and scientific nature of the administrative processes of a 21st Century University, must not only be a goal-getter, but must also be able to show drive, exceptional initiative, great ability for institutional networking with the outside world and must have a suave mien that typifies a 21st Century world-class University.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
The ideal candidate must possess a university degree not lower than a Second Class (Lower Division) and a Masters degree. He/she must also have spent at least twenty (20) years relevant administrative experience in University Administration. The candidate must have spent at least eight (8) years at senior management level not lower than that of a Deputy Registrar in a Federal University. Membership of relevant professional bodies are compulsory. In addition, he/she:
- a. must not be older than 60 years of age by June 1, 2023;
- b. must be a person of impeccable integrity and strong moral character with ability to relate excellently with staff, students and the general public;
- c. must be a person with an articulate vision for the development of the University in general and the Registry in particular, combined with a strong passion to implement the vision;
- d. must be highly conversant with the intricacies and peculiarities of a Federal University system;
- e. must be of good physical and mental health, pleasant disposition
- f. must be up-to-date in Information and Communication Technology (ICT) skills.
- g. must be a person of strong character, sound leadership skills and ability to instil confidence and engender trust in his/her members of staff;
- h. must be devoid of any criminal record; and
- i. must be able to demonstrate sagacity and wisdom in the face of crisis or undesirable situations.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
The appointment is for a single tenure of five (5) years, while salary and other conditions of service shall be as approved for Registrars of Federal Universities by the Federal Government of Nigeria and the Council of Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Candidates are required to submit fifteen (15) copies and a soft copy of word-processed applications, an up-to-date detailed Curriculum Vitae and names of three (3) referees to the Vice-Chancellor, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife and marked ‘Confidential: for the attention of the Vice-Chancellor’ at the left hand top corner of the envelope to reach him not later than six (6) weeks from the date of publication.
Late applications will NOT be entertained and only applications of shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.
The CV of applicants must contain the following:
- Full Name (Surname first in capital letters).
- Post Applied for.
- Date and place of birth (attach birth certificate/sworn affidavit of age).
- State of Origin, Senatorial District and Local Government Area (if a Nigerian).
- Permanent Home Address.
- Current Postal Address/including G.S.M Telephone number(s).
- Marital Status
- Number of Children and their ages.
- Institutions attended with dates.
- Academic/Professional qualifications and distinctions obtained with dates (attach copies of credentials)
- Work Experience with dates.
- Present Employment, Status, and Salary (if any).
- Service to national and international bodies.
- Extra-Curricular Activities.
- Any physical challenge and nature
- Names and Addresses of three (3) referees who must have been closely associated with candidate’s administrative/work experience.
- Signature and Date
Each application should include fifteen (15) copies and a soft copy of the candidate’s Vision for the University and particularly the administration and growth of the University.
Each referee must be contacted by the applicant to forward, directly to the Vice-Chancellor, a confidential report on the candidate’s character, administrative and managerial competencies in a properly sealed envelope marked “CONFIDENTIAL- Application for the Post of Registrar: Referee’s report” at the top left corner of the envelope within the period allowed for the submission of the application.
M. I. Omosule (Mrs).
Registrar and Secretary to the Council
Disclaimer: This article is provided for general information purpose only and may contain data fetched from third party sources; hence, we do not endorse its accuracy. For more details, kindly visit the Source. Please report any fake news or false statement to Our Support Team. If you are the original owner of this content and wish it to be removed on this platform, kindly forward your request to Our Support Team.